Monday, June 22, 2009

Highs and Lows of a 48-hour period...

This weekend was a rollercoaster of emotion. A thrillride of feelings. A something of something-else (comedy Rule-of-3s.) There were no real moments this weekend of "OKness." Even the 5-year-olds birthday party I went to- that I knew no one at- had either its bad moments- getting picked on by a 7-year-old girl, Aurelia getting hurt on the playground, and finding out there was no lunch provided- or it's great moment- seeing my daughter behave like the polite lady we are raising her to be when all the other kids were yelling and screaming and ignoring their parents' wishes and commands and threats.

So, join me for this rollercoaster of life I had over the weekend. I'm sure- as I finish- to some, it will seem as if this "rollercoaster" I call it is more suited for the "kiddie-rides" section of the amusement-park that is my life . . . but this is how I felt. OK?

Low: Friday night, uploading footage of a film I'm helping my wife make, and realizing: the footage isn't great; the children's acting is below-sub-par (they are 4 and 5, so what should I expect?); and facing the fact that I'm going to have to devote more time and effort than I have available to it, compounded by the fact that I have to use my brother's editing equipment to do it (he lives an hour away, and the only times I can come over to do it he works, and vice-versa.)

High: Taking a wonderful nap with my daughter after morning practice on Saturday. She's getting to the age where she doesn't like naps, or cuddling, but on this day we did both, and I was woken up by her giving me a tight squeeze around the neck and a kiss on the nose.

Low: Money issues. Can't go to some improv classes I'd like to take this weekend, and trying to find something to cut out of our budget. Feeling like the president, except if HE goes a trillion dollars in the red, we basically just shrug our shoulders. If I go $10 in the red, eventually I'll lose my house.

High: Driving to the show Saturday night, and listening to the Twins game, I was thrilled that Brendan Harris hit a lead-off home run. I pumped my fist and then continued driving. That, in and of itself would have been only ok- barely worth remembering- but then the van behind me pulled up to be even with me, honked it's horn, and that's when I got to share in the moment with the guy next to me: he pointed to the radio, gave me a big thumbs up, and I could tell he shouted, "Whooo!" to me. I did the same back, and he drove off. Sports moments are always greater if they can be shared with another man, even one I've never met, and will never see again.

Low: Although I didn't find out until later, but apparently we almost lost our six-year-old Pug around this time on Saturday. While outside, Penny was apparently bit or stung by something that she had an allergic reaction to. She swelled up and couldn't breathe, and Gina had to take her with my daughter to the vet. That alone would be bad enough, but I felt so much worse when my wife told me she tried to call and couldn't get through to me (stupid Sheraton Hotel being a blackhole for cell-service.) I listened to the voicemails she left later that night and got very sad and upset at myself; it kills me to know she had to handle it by herself, and there was nothing I could do to help.

High: I had a good show on Saturday. I got some great reactions for my "Love is Like" character, and everyone seemed to enjoy "T-Bones," the shackled-waiter at the "Parole-style" themed restaurant.

Low: Migraine Sunday morning. Couldn't sleep as I thought about my dog, wife, and daughter.

High: Ignoring the migraine to celebrate Father's Day with my wife and daughter in the morning. Nothing could have made me happier than hearing my daughter tell me over and over, "Happy Father's Day, Da-da!" and hugging my legs. Not even the new toaster I got as a present. And the talking Hallmark Card ("There's no crying in baseball!")

Low: I had what should have been my second Park Show of the summer. My mom, dad, and sister (from Duluth) were planning on coming. We're suppose to have two shows; we had one, and that one we barely made it through as we struggled through the rain. This is the second park show I had that was rained-out. Now, I know I perform at the cabaret every other weekend, and the Park Shows are just suppose to be fun: and that's it exactly. They're fun. I like the kid-friendly shows with the little kids watching; I like that my wife can bring my daughter; and I always feel very rewarded afterwards because it is such a great time. But instead of having four performances to look back on this summer, I have one. Hopefully Sven Sunsgaard can keep the rain away August 30th...

And that's it. I hate to end on a low note, but there was nothing great about how my Father's Day ended. Although, once we got back home, I had supper with my daughter, we played with some toys, wrestled around, and then I went to bed early. So I guess- while not "high" and great- it was OK. My one point of OKness all weekend...

I'll take it.

Wooooooooooooooolhouse

No comments: